Written by Aditi Paul
Let’s be honest, there are 2 things on social media that we are legitimately tired of:
- Virtue Signaling (preaching to others how to be better humans), and
- Compassion Hoarding (empathizing with every calamity happening in the world)
And somehow today, I am a steaming pile of both these things. Because today, it is personal.
You are already aware of the humanitarian crisis unfolding in India right now.
What you may not be aware of is this—
Every Indian you know has either suffered a personal loss
Or has someone in less than six degrees of separation
Who has suffered a personal loss.
Every single one of us.
So, when I make the plea to you to help India get through this crisis, don’t think of India as an inanimate piece of land a thousand miles away from you that you are morally obligated to “save.” Instead, think of a person’s face—anchor that Indian friend/colleague/partner’s face, if needed—to understand the difference your click of a button can make in a person’s life. Humanize the issue if that is what it takes to carve out those funds to donate.
You may not understand the immediate impact of your $100, $500, or a $1,000. But, one day—and that day will come—when we get out of this hell hole of a situation, you will rest knowing that you played a key role in the collective healing of a nation, and in turn, the world.
I have listed the organizations below you can donate to for India’s Covid Relief. I strongly hope you consider donating to these worthy causes.
- International organizations aiding India
- Sewa International and Khalsa Aid to donate oxygen concentrators
- Akshaya Patra to donate meals and grocery kits – Click here
- The Desai Foundation to donate masks, food packages, and women’s support – Click here
- Ekal Vidyalaya to support medical consultation and medication in villages – Click here
- American India Foundation to support oxygen and hospital bed supplies – Click here
- Dasra India to collectively support multiple organizations – Click here
India-based organizations accepting international payments
- Feeding India for oxygen concentrators – Click Here
- Hemkunt Foundation for oxygen cylinders – Click Here
- Feeding from Far for feeding the poor and unemployed – Click Here
- Hope Foundation to donate medical supplies, medicine, & ventilators – Click Here
- Mukti to donate oxygen concentrators in Kolkata – Click Here
- Give India for oxygen supplies, food, critical care, & sanitary napkins for girls – Click here
- Goonj for food, hygiene essentials, oxygen, medical equipment, beds – Click Here
- Swasth Foundationfor medicines and supplies to healthcare workers – Click here
Supporting Grassroot organizations and Individuals
- 24×7 Ambulance Network for COVID19 Patients and Healthcare Systems – Click Here
- B J Government Medical Hospital Pune medical supplies through Anasuya Basu – Click Here
- Other city-specific Covid Relief Funds – Click Here
There is one last way you can help India get through these trying times. And it doesn’t even cost a cent. It is this:
When you are dealing with an Indian—be it a friend, a partner, or a colleague at work—Acknowledge the hurt, anxiety, and frustration in a respectful way.
Whatever you do, for the love of God, don’t act like the way this turd of a human did with Harvard Professor Dr. Hima Lakkaraju: